Browse Items (53 total)

  • Collection: Edgar Scott Postcard Collection

spc-puffers_pond_c1914.jpg
View of a young boy fishing at Mill Pond in Cushman. The pond was at the corner of State Street and East Leverett Road and was the water source for the mills downstream, including the Roberts mill.

spc-504.jpg
View of several barns located in a field planted with rows of corn on the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus.

spc_187a.jpg
View showing Candida Musante beside the stand that became an Amherst institution. She and her husband (known as "Peanut John") ran a little shop out of Cutler's Block on South Pleasant Street. The Musantes emigrated from Italy, arriving in Amherst in…

spc_640.jpg
View of a ferry crossing the Connecticut River from Northampton to Hockanum in Hadley with Mount Holyoke in the background.

spc_178b.jpg
View of the Hills Company hat factory which became one of the largest hat manufacturers in the United States. These buildings were constructed on the east side of the New London Northern Railroad tracks after the first factory was consumed by fire in…

spc_584.jpg
Old station on North Pleasant Street at Massachusetts Agricultural College where passengers could wait for the trolley during inclement weather.

spc_669a.jpg
View of a trolley car running through the pass at the Notch in South Amherst.

spc_640a.jpg
View of the three bridges crossing the Connecticut River from Hadley to Northampton at the turn of the century. They were the trolley bridge, the old highway bridge, and the Boston and Maine Railroad bridge which is now part of the Norwottuck Rail…

spc-210b.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses shown in the Amherst House block include E. R. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, a clothes shop, and Amherst E-O Store.…

spc_125b.jpg
View of Phoenix Row as seen from the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. Cook's Block, the brick building on the left, was built about 1840. The upper floors were partially rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Other business blocks (from left to…

spc_129a.jpg
View of the east end of Phoenix Row on Main Street. The new Lincoln Block is in the foreground.

The Amherst Journal of 6/16/1950 states, "Built by the Allen Brothers of Amherst in 1909 and 1910, the structure was designed by James H. Ritchie of…

spc-167.jpg
View looking north from the junction of Amity and North Pleasant Streets. Horses and carts are parked in front of businesses and the streets are unpaved.

spc_207c.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses visible in the Amherst House block include Harry H. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, and Campion & Fish.

The first…

spc_126.jpg
View of Phoenix Row seen from the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. Cook's Block, the brick building on the left, was built about 1840. The upper floors were partially rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Other business blocks (from left to right)…

spc_134a.jpg
View showing Cook Fountain with water flowing. The surrounding area needs some attention.

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2