Browse Items (1480 total)

Parking and Jones Library 1928.jpg
View of the east side of the library and the First National Bank with street parking for both cars and horses.

center_fire_station.jpg
This is the old fire station with the police lockup, a two-story brick building, in the rear. There are 1920's era automobiles parked in the street in front.

center_fire-station2.jpg
This is the old fire station which stood on North Pleasant Street during its deconstruction. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1930. The gambrel roof of the new Jones Library building is visible in the background.

Ray_Stannard_Baker_Elm.jpg
This is the elm tree on the lot opposite the Ray Stannard Baker house on Sunset Avenue in Amherst. He purchased the meadow in order to save the tree. About the elm he wrote, "It is content. It does not weep with remorse over its past, nor tremble for…

Jones Library Whipple House.jpg
Photograph taken from in front of the Whipple House on North Pleasant Street. The Jones Library operations moved into this house two days after the disastrous fire that destroyed the Amherst House in December of 1926. The elliptical window (barely…

Market Livery Garage.jpg
The west side of North Pleasant Street, just north of Amity Street. Buildings (left to right) are: Variety Market; W. A. Wiley, Livery and Saddle Horses; the old Amherst Fire House; Kiely Brothers Ford sales and service; a private residence; and the…

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

barnes_fiske_cutler_house__BAR0176003.jpg
The Fiske/Cutler house was located at the corner of North Pleasant Street and Cowles Lane. The house was razed for the construction of St. Brigid's Church.

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

Kellogg House.jpg
Kellogg House on the corner of North Pleasant Street and Kellogg Avenue, which is the site of the present Post Office. It was owned by William Kellogg who owned the Kellogg Block that burned in 1923. Written on back: "Sign on house says Dr. Barrett.…

Amherst House fire.jpg
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…

Whipple House and Garage.jpg
Keily Brothers Ford Sales and Service is on the left and the Jones Library, when it was in operation in the Whipple House, is on the right. Next to the Jones Library is the delicatessen of Louis Pappas, and next to that is the house in which Pappas…

BAR2316_MainSt_JudgesBlock.jpg
View of Peter Suprenant's market store and Sing Lee Laundry in Judges Block on Main Street. Judges Block is located just east of Town Hall. This building was originally located on the site of Town Hall and called Palmer Block.

LookingsouthfromMountPleasant.jpg
View south from Mount Pleasant with the gambrel-roofed Davenport Inn (renamed the Mount Pleasant Inn in 1936) and North Pleasant Street on the right. Looking down a gently rolling hill dotted with shrubs and small trees.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2