Browse Items (1480 total)

Map_HampCounty_1860.jpg
Map of the county of Hampshire, Massachusetts, based upon the trigonometrical survey of the state, the details from actual surveys under the direction of Henry F. Walling.

Echo_Hill_map.jpg
This is a map of the Echo Hill South neighborhood, which is located southeast of East Village.

Echo_Hill_model_home.jpg
One story model home typical of the Echo Hill South development in Amherst, Mass.

Echo_Hill_pond.jpg
View of the Echo Hill South pond surrounded by trees in fall color.

Map_Amherst_1873_BW.jpg
Section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing much of Amherst including residences and landownership; businesses; cemeteries; schools; railroads. Includes inset of northern part of Amherst.

Amherst_Name_Petition.pdf
This is a letter of petition to Thomas Pownall, Governor of the Province of Massachusetts. John Nash, Isaac Ward, and Nehimieh Dickinson propose that the new town that is separating from Hadley should be named after Baron Jeffery Amherst.

spc-504.jpg
View of several barns located in a field planted with rows of corn on the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus.

amherst_trade_cards_1.jpg
Trade card advertising the Amherst business of F. H. Howes, a grocer located in Merchants' Row in the 1880s. The cartoon on the card illustrates Victorian humor.

spc_187a.jpg
View showing Candida Musante beside the stand that became an Amherst institution. She and her husband (known as "Peanut John") ran a little shop out of Cutler's Block on South Pleasant Street. The Musantes emigrated from Italy, arriving in Amherst in…

spc_640.jpg
View of a ferry crossing the Connecticut River from Northampton to Hockanum in Hadley with Mount Holyoke in the background.

amherst_trade_cards_2.jpg
Trade card advertising the Amherst business of J. M. Waite & Son, a hatter and outfitter for gentlemen, whose establishment was located in Cook's Block, Phoenix Row, in the late 1880s.

spc_178b.jpg
View of the Hills Company hat factory which became one of the largest hat manufacturers in the United States. These buildings were constructed on the east side of the New London Northern Railroad tracks after the first factory was consumed by fire in…

Amherst_Trade_Cards_3_Front.jpg
Trade card for the Amherst Roller Rink, a roller-skating establishment which was located in Palmer Hall (today the site of Amherst Town Hall) in the 1880s.

spc_584.jpg
Old station on North Pleasant Street at Massachusetts Agricultural College where passengers could wait for the trolley during inclement weather.

amherst_trade_cards_4.jpg
This trade card advertises the optical business which was run by Edgar R. Bennett from sometime in the 1880s through 1903. Bennett was a watchmaker, jeweler, optician, and bicycle agent. His shop was in Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2