Browse Items (85 total)

  • Tags: 1860s

lov1085.jpg
Early view of Phoenix Row business blocks. Written on verso: "Before 1873-no gaslights; shows Charles Deuel store, Deuel's store in Amherst House Block by 1886 according to town directory."

lov1083.jpg
View up Main Street when it was a dirt road. The Amherst House hotel is visible in the background.

lov1076.jpg
"Hotel Orient Springs," located in the Pelham Hills, was so named by Edward Hitchcock at the dedication on April 29, 1861. Written on the back of an advertising card: "No summer resort has so many attractions as the Orient Springs House. Besides the…

lov1070.jpg
View of the American House Hotel and business blocks in Phoenix Row on Main Street.

lov1068.jpg
View looking east down Main Street with Phoenix Row on the left and horses and wagons parked along the road. This photograph was taken before 1868 when Palmer Block was built.

lov1058.jpg
View of Grace Episcopal Church and rectory from the Town Common.

Tags: ,

lov1053.jpg
View of Grace Episcopal Church and rectory from the Town Common.

Tags: ,

lov1048.jpg
Looking south across the fenced Town Common toward Amherst College.

lov1047.jpg
Looking south across the fenced Town Common toward Amherst College. Written on verso: "Common enclosed with fence 1860 -- see Hampshire Franklin Express 6/15/1860 p.2."

lov1041.jpg
Painting and drawing class comprised of children and women. Written on back: "Class of Miss L. M. Nims?"

lov1031.jpg
A view of the Town Common and Boltwood Avenue before Grace Episcopal Church was built and showing Amherst Academy in the background.

lov1030.jpg
Photograph taken from Johnson Chapel tower looking over Williston Hall with a view of the First Congregational Church building.

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov0999.jpg
View of Sabrina, the statue presented to Amherst College by Joel Hayden in 1857. She sits in the garden near the Observatory.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2