Browse Items (137 total)

  • Tags: 1880s

Birdseye_Amherst_1886.jpg
Panoramic lithograph of Amherst. Perspective map not drawn to scale.

Obit.pdf
Newspaper clipping of the obituary of Emily Dickinson written by Susan Dickinson and published in the Springfield Republican (May 18, 1886) and the Amherst Record (May 19, 1886).

amherst_bicycle_club.jpg
Photograph of the Amherst Bicycle Club taken in the Brattleboro, Vermont, studio of C. L. Howe on May 16, 1881. Members are wearing athletic clothes of the day and posed with a high wheeler bicycle.

Tags: ,

lov0091_1.jpg
This street leads to East Amherst and Pelham. The portion shown here is bordered by parallel rows of elm trees, whose interlacing branches create an arch above the street. First Congregational Church is shown on the right.

lov0094.jpg
View of a classroom with benches as seating for students and a podium in front. The walls are filled with pictures and a large map. Richard Henry Mather was a professor of Greek language and literature at Amherst College from 1859 to 1890.

lov0105.jpg
View across the south end of the Town Common showing Amherst College buildings.

lov0106.jpg
View across the south end of the Town Common showing Amherst College buildings.

lov0107.jpg
View across the south end of the Town Common showing Amherst College buildings.

lov0108.jpg
View across a fenced field in the Woodside Avenue area. Scene looks over South Pleasant Street to College Hill and shows area houses.

lov0117.jpg
View of the building that was originally called Middle College until the original North College burned in 1857. Built by Hiram Johnson, an Amherst brick mason.

lov0127.jpg
View of Morgan Library after the 1882 addition was completed. The new addition included the librarian's office and a large book room in the rear.

lov0137.jpg
View of Morgan Library, the Amherst College President's House and College Hall on the west side of South Pleasant Street after the addition to the Library in 1882.

lov0139.jpg
View of Morgan Library, the Amherst College President's House and College Hall on the west side of South Pleasant Street after the addition to the Library in 1882.

lov0145.jpg
The second incarnation of Walker Hall, shown here from the side, was completed in 1883 after the original building was gutted by fire. A portion of the outside wall survived the fire, was strengthened on the inside and incorporated into the new…

lov0146.jpg
The second incarnation of Walker Hall, shown here from the front with a circular walkway, was completed in 1883 after the original building was gutted by fire. A portion of the outside wall survived the fire, was strengthened on the inside and…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2