Browse Items (132 total)

  • Tags: 1890s

img752.jpg
A variety of similar envelopes exist from J. L. Lovell’s studio, the Amherst Picture Gallery. An elaborate printed label boasts Lovell’s decades of work in Amherst.

Tags:

TaxRecords_wrap_1890.html
Tax record book showing property owned and its value.

Terrace Home School on South Prospect.jpg
View of the school which came to be called the Terrace Home School on South Prospect Street. It was run for many years by Josephine Herrick and was a school for children with special needs. Instruction was given in instrumental and vocal music,…

Mt Pleasant Hill and Institute.jpg
Looking up Mount Pleasant Hill toward Mount Pleasant Institute. The hill is labeled "Nash Hill" on the photograph.

Lecture Poster.jpg
Broadside advertising a lecture by George W. Mansfield of the Thomson-Houston Electric Company, which merged with Edison General Electric Company in 1892 to become General Electric Company. The lecture was part of the Union Lecture Course.

lov1060.jpg
View looking over pews toward the pulpit in front from the center aisle.

Tags: ,

lov1026.jpg
View of the classroom of Thomas Cushing Esty, a professor of mathematics at Amherst College. Class is in session. Professor Esty taught mathematics at Amherst College from 1895-1901 and 1905-1941.

lov0452.jpg
Construction was completed on this building in 1890 and included an attached shed, glass house, and ornate Victorian greenhouse (later removed). It was designed by Emory A. Ellsworth of Holyoke.

lov0451.jpg
The West Experiment Station was built during the years 1886 and 1887 to provide an area for chemical research. The building was designed by Emory A. Ellsworth of Holyoke,

lov0450.jpg
The West Experiment Station was built during the years 1886 and 1887 to provide an area for chemical research. The building was designed by Emory A. Ellsworth of Holyoke,

lov0444.jpg
The house on the right is the first house owned by a fraternity on the Mass Aggie campus. It was initially used as the College Farmhouse. D.G.K. bought and remodeled the house in 1891 for fraternal use. The building on the left is the College…

lov0434.jpg
View of Massachusetts Agricultural College buildings from across the the stream before it was dammed to create the campus pond. Buildings from left to right are the early Drill Hall, Old Chapel, second incarnation of Old South College, North College,…

lov0430.jpg
View of the Old Homestead with barns and outbuildings.

lov0428.jpg
View of the East Experiment Station with an ornate Victorian greenhouse (later removed). The Richardsonian Romanesque structure was designed by architect Emory Ellsworth, and construction was completed in 1890. A wooded hillside is visible in the…

lov0427.jpg
Insectary of the entomological department of the Hatch Experiment Station, constructed in 1889.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2