Browse Items (34 total)

  • Tags: 1920s

Paige'sGarageAndCrew.jpg
Photograph of the owners and employees of Paige's Garage standing before the gas pumps. This was a Socony station. Socony was a shortened name for Standard Oil Company of New York. The horse Pegasus, the oil company logo, is visible on the pumps and…

RemodellingOfOldSt.BridgetsChurch.jpg
Old St. Bridget's Church (renamed St. Brigid's) on North Pleasant Street viewed during the process of remodeling. From 1925 to 1927 (after the new church building was constructed) it was called St. Brigid's Hall. It was then sold and remodeled into…

LookingsouthfromMountPleasant.jpg
View south from Mount Pleasant with the gambrel-roofed Davenport Inn (renamed the Mount Pleasant Inn in 1936) and North Pleasant Street on the right. Looking down a gently rolling hill dotted with shrubs and small trees.

BAR2316_MainSt_JudgesBlock.jpg
View of Peter Suprenant's market store and Sing Lee Laundry in Judges Block on Main Street. Judges Block is located just east of Town Hall. This building was originally located on the site of Town Hall and called Palmer Block.

Puffer Ad.jpg
Advertisement for the trucking business of Edward S. Puffer, dealer in coal, wood, ice, hay, grain, meal and feeds.

Whipple House and Garage.jpg
Keily Brothers Ford Sales and Service is on the left and the Jones Library, when it was in operation in the Whipple House, is on the right. Next to the Jones Library is the delicatessen of Louis Pappas, and next to that is the house in which Pappas…

Amherst House fire.jpg
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…

Kellogg House.jpg
Kellogg House on the corner of North Pleasant Street and Kellogg Avenue, which is the site of the present Post Office. It was owned by William Kellogg who owned the Kellogg Block that burned in 1923. Written on back: "Sign on house says Dr. Barrett.…

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

barnes_fiske_cutler_house__BAR0176003.jpg
The Fiske/Cutler house was located at the corner of North Pleasant Street and Cowles Lane. The house was razed for the construction of St. Brigid's Church.

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

Market Livery Garage.jpg
The west side of North Pleasant Street, just north of Amity Street. Buildings (left to right) are: Variety Market; W. A. Wiley, Livery and Saddle Horses; the old Amherst Fire House; Kiely Brothers Ford sales and service; a private residence; and the…

Jones Library Whipple House.jpg
Photograph taken from in front of the Whipple House on North Pleasant Street. The Jones Library operations moved into this house two days after the disastrous fire that destroyed the Amherst House in December of 1926. The elliptical window (barely…

Winter fun at Mt Pleasant.jpg
Children skiing and sledding down the hill in front of Mount Pleasant Institute toward East Pleasant Street.

center_fire-station2.jpg
This is the old fire station which stood on North Pleasant Street during its deconstruction. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1930. The gambrel roof of the new Jones Library building is visible in the background.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2