Browse Items (19 total)

  • Tags: Amherst Center

center_fire-station2.jpg
This is the old fire station which stood on North Pleasant Street during its deconstruction. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1930. The gambrel roof of the new Jones Library building is visible in the background.

Jones Library Whipple House.jpg
Photograph taken from in front of the Whipple House on North Pleasant Street. The Jones Library operations moved into this house two days after the disastrous fire that destroyed the Amherst House in December of 1926. The elliptical window (barely…

Roberts_Flower_Shop.jpg
View of the small flower shop run by William Roberts and Cora Farmer located just north of Cowles Lane. This house was incorporated into the business block that exists now and became Knowles Flower Shop.

CandyKitchenInCarpentersHall.jpg
This is the area behind the commercial blocks on the north side of upper Main Street in Amherst where Bueno Y Sano is now located. The College Candy Kitchen was located in the Nash Block before the fire in February of 1928 destroyed the building. The…

IMG_6181.jpg
Looking north on North Pleasant Street with a view of CVS, Roberts Block and St. Brigid's Catholic Church.

IMG_6180.jpg
Colorful view of the Central Fire Station in downtown Amherst with fire engines and ambulances parked outside. CVS is on the right.

lacroix_lac0156_19760710_common_market_tbt.jpg
Photograph of two women looking at vegetables at the Amherst Common Market (now known as the Farmers' Market) in Amherst, Massachusetts

lov1031.jpg
A view of the Town Common and Boltwood Avenue before Grace Episcopal Church was built and showing Amherst Academy in the background.

lov1033.jpg
Photograph taken from Johnson Chapel tower looking toward the center of town and Amity Street. The statue Sabrina in the garden is just visible at the bottom of the photograph.

lov1065.jpg
View of the First Baptist Church and adjacent houses from the Town Common.

NightMainStreet.jpg
View up Main Street toward Town Hall and the central business district at night.

PlumblysAtNight.jpg
Plumbley's Restaurant, illuminated at night, from across and down Main Street.

MAR26Posters.jpg
Jumble of posters and various hand made advertisements taped to a wall in the center of Amherst.

MAR23Faces.jpg
Flamingo decorations outside the building which housed Faces of Earth for about 20 years. The building is behind the Mobil station on North Pleasant Street and had previously housed a candlepin bowling alley. Faces had removed from the site by…

MARFauveGallery.jpg
Wooden sculpture outside the entrance to the Fauve Gallery, an art gallery which operated on the second floor at 18 Main Street for five years beginning in 1985.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2