Browse Items (19 total)

  • Tags: Amherst Center

This is the old fire station which stood on North Pleasant Street during its deconstruction. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1930. The gambrel roof of the new Jones Library building is visible in the background.

A view of the Town Common and Boltwood Avenue before Grace Episcopal Church was built and showing Amherst Academy in the background.

Photograph taken from Johnson Chapel tower looking toward the center of town and Amity Street. The statue Sabrina in the garden is just visible at the bottom of the photograph.

View of the First Baptist Church and adjacent houses from the Town Common.

Jones Library Whipple House.jpg
Photograph taken from in front of the Whipple House on North Pleasant Street. The Jones Library operations moved into this house two days after the disastrous fire that destroyed the Amherst House in December of 1926. The elliptical window (barely…

View up Main Street toward Town Hall and the central business district at night.

Plumbley's Restaurant, illuminated at night, from across and down Main Street.

Looking north on North Pleasant Street with a view of CVS, Roberts Block and St. Brigid's Catholic Church.

Colorful view of the Central Fire Station in downtown Amherst with fire engines and ambulances parked outside. CVS is on the right.

Jumble of posters and various hand made advertisements taped to a wall in the center of Amherst.

Wooden sculpture outside the entrance to the Fauve Gallery, an art gallery which operated on the second floor at 18 Main Street for five years beginning in 1985.

Tent on the Town Common where the Amherst League of Women Voters held their annual book sale in 1984.

Flamingo decorations outside the building which housed Faces of Earth for about 20 years. The building is behind the Mobil station on North Pleasant Street and had previously housed a candlepin bowling alley. Faces had removed from the site by…

View of the small flower shop run by William Roberts and Cora Farmer located just north of Cowles Lane. This house was incorporated into the business block that exists now and became Knowles Flower Shop.

News Clipping Changes in Center resized.jpg
Article from the Springfield Republican describing the houses that once stood around the Town Common and at other areas near the center of Amherst.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2