Browse Items (24 total)

  • Tags: Animals

Parking and Jones Library 1928.jpg
View of the east side of the library and the First National Bank with street parking for both cars and horses.

johnson_clifton_cows_graze_by_stone_wall.jpg
Four cows graze in a pasture behind a low stone wall. Hills are seen in the distance. Caption on reverse reads "A catskill region of mountain farms, where John Burroughs was born in 1837."

cj2164.jpg
A horse-drawn carriage faces away from the camera approaching the covered Fort River bridge seen in the middleground. A little fence leads up to it, some bare trees are scattered around, a line of telegraph poles line the right side of the photograph…

cj2173.jpg
A farmer, identified as Eliot Johnson, on a mowing machine pulled by a couple horses across the road from a farmhouse, identified as belonging to Oscar Johnson. A couple large trees adorn the image on either side with Mount Holyoke in the background.

cj2175a.jpg
A ferry carries a horse-drawn carriage across the Connecticut river. Two women and a girl sit on the carriage, one holding a parasol. Two gentlemen, one in the front, one in the back guide the ferry as a third gentleman stands looking across to the…

cj2187.jpg
Sheep and a farm boy face away from the camera on a upland pasture that outlooks the Connecticut river and distant mountains.

cj2189.jpg
A group of five children facing the camera, stand on by the entrance to a barn watching a crowd of chickens, some white and some matted brown, feeding. A dog walks towards the barn.

lov0049.jpg
Pasture and herd of cows which belonged to Spring Farm on South Pleasant Street. The farm was run by Harry M. Whitaker.

lov0281.jpg
View of Paige's Livery Stable, next to the Amity Street School, with horses, employees, and the Amherst House stagecoach with driver. This building became the Amherst Theater. Stated in The Village of Amherst, a Landmark of Light, by Frank Prentice …

lov0319.jpg
View of Phoenix Row on Main Street lined with horses, carriages and wagons. Visible business signs include R. W. Stratton, a drug store, and a fire and life insurance agency. Two dogs stand in the middle of the road.

lov0347.jpg
View of a house with people, horses, and oxen in the yard. According to a copy of a hand-written note accompanying this photograph, this house was owned by Charles R. Dickinson who later sold it to Enoch Clark. The Ferry family acquired it in 1929.…

lov0360.jpg
This building stood at the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Street. Samuel K. Orr remodeled it as a modern drug store and opened his shop there in 1859. According to the Springfield Republican (October 22, 1864 edition, page 8) William F. Gunn…

lov0361.jpg
The horse team of W. D. Cowls rests in front of Frank P. Wood's Hotel and Livery (corner of Amity and North Pleasant Streets) after the Blizzard of 1888, accompanied by a large group of men and boys. A number of such teams were formed to clear the…

AmherstRecordHomeAlmanac1877Resized.pdf
Almanac "containing matters of local interest, local business announcements...also some pages of miscellaneous reading." Includes a chronology of notable events (both local and national) for 1876, Amherst marriages and deaths for the year, statistics…

amherst_record_19720322_stanley_family_riding_ponies_tbt.jpg
Photograph of John Stanley walking beside his daughters, Tammy and Susan, who are riding ponies. They are on Potwine Street in South Amherst. A dog can be seen standing in the background.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2