Browse Items (148 total)

  • Tags: Architecture

lov0069_1.jpg
View of the Alpha Delta Phi house, contructed in 1890 on the north corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets, with the old chapter house (the Sellon house) visible behind it. The materials used in construction were Elyria sandstone, pressed brick, and…

SPC378ACDiningCommons.jpg
Purchased by Amherst College in 1892, the Boltwood House was remodeled as a student dining hall and renamed Hitchcock Hall. It was razed in 1916 for the construction of Converse Memorial Library, now Converse Hall.

lov0097.jpg
This building was erected in 1828-29 as the third meetinghouse of First Congregational Church of Amherst. The pillars were removed by the church in 1861 and it was purchased by the College in 1867.

lov0029.jpg
View of the Amherst House which was located on the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. This is the second incarnation of the hotel and is shown here with people posing in front and the stagecoach parked on the side of the building. D. H.…

spc-209a.jpg
This large hotel once stood on the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets and is shown here with both horse carts and automobiles parked in front.

lov0012.jpg
This building was constructed on the site of the Palmer Block, which was destroyed by fire during the Blizzard of 1888. It was designed by Henry S. McKay of Boston. Construction was completed in November 1890. The clock is installed in the tower in…

lov0287.jpg
View of the newly constructed Town Hall. This may be the earliest photograph after the completion of Town Hall. The clock has not been installed and there are no bushes planted in front. There is a partial view of the Grace Episcopal Church rectory…

img437 R.jpg
Photograph and newspaper article detailing the history of the old Kellogg house on North East Street, the house that became the first long term post office in Amherst. The story includes interesting tidbits including a description of the murals that…

lov0062_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1855 and was named for the Hon. Samuel Appleton. It contained the Hitchcock Ichnological Collection, the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics, and the Adams Zoological Collection.

lov0058_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1860, and was named for Dr. Benjamin Barrett, a large contributor to the fund for its construction. Amherst was the first College to introduce gymnastic exercise as a part of regular College work.

lov0122.jpg
View of Barrett Gymnasium with students in front and landscaped with trees and lawn.

lov0123.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…

lov0124.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…

lov0125.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2