Browse Items (136 total)

  • Tags: Business Industry and Transportation

AccountBookConnRiverCommerceResized.pdf
Account book kept by unknown person recording transportation of goods such as salt, molasses, and rum, up and down the Connecticut River during the years 1753 through 1756.

Advertisement Jackson and Cutler.jpg
Advertisement for the firm of Jackson & Cutler which succeeded the firm of George Cutler & Co. in 1884. The store sold clothing and related articles. The women drawn in the ad have a feminine, wasp-waisted, Gibson Girl look.

Puffer Ad.jpg
Advertisement for the trucking business of Edward S. Puffer, dealer in coal, wood, ice, hay, grain, meal and feeds.

amherst_trade_cards_4.jpg
This trade card advertises the optical business which was run by Edgar R. Bennett from sometime in the 1880s through 1903. Bennett was a watchmaker, jeweler, optician, and bicycle agent. His shop was in Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street.

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

smith_gristmill_agreement_17560128.jpg
Agreement between Peletiah Smith and seven others to build, and to share equally the cost of, a gristmill to be situated on the Fort River in the Second Precinct of Hadley.

AmericanHouseBlock.jpg
This structure was built on the site where Noah Webster's house was located during the time he spent in Amherst writing his dictionary (1812-1822). It was built as the Hygeian Hotel. This statement was printed in the Springfield Republican edition of…

AmherstCenter.jpg
Turn of the century view of the center of Amherst looking west toward the Amherst House from the north end of the Town Common.

lov0029.jpg
View of the Amherst House which was located on the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. This is the second incarnation of the hotel and is shown here with people posing in front and the stagecoach parked on the side of the building. D. H.…

spc_207c.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses visible in the Amherst House block include Harry H. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, and Campion & Fish.

The first…

spc-209a.jpg
This large hotel once stood on the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets and is shown here with both horse carts and automobiles parked in front.

lov0380.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0382.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0383.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the building was enlarged and the name changed to the Amherst House. There were community dinners held in the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2