Browse Items (64 total)

  • Tags: Business blocks

lov1033.jpg
Photograph taken from Johnson Chapel tower looking toward the center of town and Amity Street. The statue Sabrina in the garden is just visible at the bottom of the photograph.

lov0375.jpg
This building was designed by William Fenno Pratt to replace the one which was destroyed in the fire of July 4, 1879, which also destroyed the Amherst House. Visible business signs include Edwards & Bigelow, C. S. Gates, Dentist, and Jackson &…

lov0374.jpg
View south on South Pleasant Street with a prominent view of Kellogg's Block showing the driveway to Stebbins' Livery Stable. Men are leaning out third-story windows, a clock is visible outside J. A. Rawson, and a sign for Amherst Dental Rooms hangs…

lov0373.jpg
View looking south down South Pleasant Street showing the business blocks of Merchants' Row and horses hitched to wagons parked on the street.

lov0372.jpg
View of Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street with the First Baptist Church in the background. Horses, carriages and wagons line the street and there is a covering of snow on the ground.

lov0371.jpg
View from the south end of Merchants' Row showing Kendrick Market on the left and a portion of the first Amherst House on the right.

lov0370.jpg
View from the south end of Merchants' Row showing Kendrick Market on the left and a portion of the first Amherst House on the right. Horses hitched to wagons line the street.

lov0369.jpg
View from the south end of Merchants' Row showing Kendrick Market on the left. Horses hitched to wagons line the street.

lov0368.jpg
View of Merchants' Row from the Town Common across South Pleasant Street. Good view of Stebbins' Livery Stable in the back of the business blocks on the right.

lov0367.jpg
View of Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street with the First Baptist Church in the background. Horses, carriages and wagons line the street and there is a covering of snow on the ground.

lov0366.jpg
View from the north end of Merchant's Row. The house-like building on the right was the old post office building owned by Dwight Kellogg. In June of 1865 Kellogg tried to remodel and raise the building but it collapsed. He then built the brick…

lov0357.jpg
View of Chase's Block on the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Streets. The view includes a parked wagon with a picnic basket beside it, and a baby carriage on the porch in front of the tailoring shop of Henry O. Pease. Other shops in the building…

lov0351.jpg
Dickinson Block on the southeast corner of North Pleasant Street in the area where Antonio's Pizza is now located. Businesses visible, from right to left, are: C. H. Sanderson & Co, clothiers, The Grange Store, S. A. Phillips, a meat market, and a…

lov0333.jpg
View of the Kellogg Block and the Marsh Block with men standing on the roof (probably an Amherst College fraternity).

lov0332.jpg
View of the Kellogg Block and the Marsh Block with part of the American House Block visible on the right and the A. F. Cowles & Co. shop on the left. There are men sitting in some of the windows of the Kellogg Block.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2