Browse Items (105 total)

  • Tags: Central business districts

LouisFoodsandRobertsBlock.jpg
Louis Foods grocery store and the Roberts Block after the moving and remodelling of Elm Tree Inn. Louis Foods stood about where the CVS store was constructed in 1997. The Elm Tree Inn building is still visible as part of the reconstructed Roberts…

Market Livery Garage.jpg
The west side of North Pleasant Street, just north of Amity Street. Buildings (left to right) are: Variety Market; W. A. Wiley, Livery and Saddle Horses; the old Amherst Fire House; Kiely Brothers Ford sales and service; a private residence; and the…

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

Whipple House and Garage.jpg
Keily Brothers Ford Sales and Service is on the left and the Jones Library, when it was in operation in the Whipple House, is on the right. Next to the Jones Library is the delicatessen of Louis Pappas, and next to that is the house in which Pappas…

BAR2316_MainSt_JudgesBlock.jpg
View of Peter Suprenant's market store and Sing Lee Laundry in Judges Block on Main Street. Judges Block is located just east of Town Hall. This building was originally located on the site of Town Hall and called Palmer Block.

NorthPleasantStreetRobertsBlockarea.jpg
The large building next to Louis Foods was the Elm Tree Inn. It was purchased by Everett Roberts in 1948 from the owner, Louis Pappas. It was subsequently moved back and to the right and remodeled to form the Roberts Block.

Paige'sGarageAndCrew.jpg
Photograph of the owners and employees of Paige's Garage standing before the gas pumps. This was a Socony station. Socony was a shortened name for Standard Oil Company of New York. The horse Pegasus, the oil company logo, is visible on the pumps and…

Commercial blocks, Main Street.jpg
Main Street businesses from Cook's Block east to the Lincoln Building. Visible businesses include W. F. Aubuchon Co., Town House Restaurant, Douglass-Marsh Furniture, The Gift Nook, and Bosco Cleaners. The two businesses on the left side of the…

Loitering_at_Amherst_House2R.jpg
The Amherst House Block stood at the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets. The Amherst House Hotel was in operation on the upper levels and a number of businesses were located on the street level. Note the Jones Library signs on the second…

Phoenix_Rox_1840.jpg
Reproduction of a lithograph of the original Phoenix Row building looking east down Main Street. Building signs include Phoenix Hall Straw Works and D. Mack Jr. and Son. Horse and carts cluster near the buildings, while people stroll the street. On…

lov0010.jpg
View looking north on South Pleasant Street. Merchants' Row is on the left, Town Common is on the right, and horses with carriages are parked near the shops. The flag pole can be seen at the edge of the Town Common.

lov0012.jpg
This building was constructed on the site of the Palmer Block, which was destroyed by fire during the Blizzard of 1888. It was designed by Henry S. McKay of Boston. Construction was completed in November 1890. The clock is installed in the tower in…

lov0025.jpg
Collage view of three Amherst scenes described as the Amherst House, Phoenix Row, and Dickinson Block.

lov0029.jpg
View of the Amherst House which was located on the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. This is the second incarnation of the hotel and is shown here with people posing in front and the stagecoach parked on the side of the building. D. H.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2