Browse Items (105 total)

  • Tags: Central business districts

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

AmericanHouseBlock.jpg
This structure was built on the site where Noah Webster's house was located during the time he spent in Amherst writing his dictionary (1812-1822). It was built as the Hygeian Hotel. This statement was printed in the Springfield Republican edition of…

AmherstCenter.jpg
Turn of the century view of the center of Amherst looking west toward the Amherst House from the north end of the Town Common.

Loitering_at_Amherst_House2R.jpg
The Amherst House Block stood at the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets. The Amherst House Hotel was in operation on the upper levels and a number of businesses were located on the street level. Note the Jones Library signs on the second…

lov0029.jpg
View of the Amherst House which was located on the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. This is the second incarnation of the hotel and is shown here with people posing in front and the stagecoach parked on the side of the building. D. H.…

spc-210b.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses shown in the Amherst House block include E. R. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, a clothes shop, and Amherst E-O Store.…

spc_207c.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses visible in the Amherst House block include Harry H. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, and Campion & Fish.

The first…

spc-209a.jpg
This large hotel once stood on the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets and is shown here with both horse carts and automobiles parked in front.

lov0380.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0382.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0385.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House before the sign was installed and with a view of Merchants' Row, Paige's Livery and the Amity Street School.

lov0386.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House, a large hotel and business block. The first Amherst House was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879.

lov0387.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House, a large hotel and business block. The first Amherst House was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879. Horses and carriages are parked on the street. Businesses visible are O. G. Couch, Deuel, and…

lov0388.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House, a large hotel and business block. The first Amherst House was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879. Horses and carriages are parked on the street and people are loitering near the building.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2