Browse Items (105 total)

  • Tags: Central business districts

spc_187a.jpg
View showing Candida Musante beside the stand that became an Amherst institution. She and her husband (known as "Peanut John") ran a little shop out of Cutler's Block on South Pleasant Street. The Musantes emigrated from Italy, arriving in Amherst in…

spc-210b.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses shown in the Amherst House block include E. R. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, a clothes shop, and Amherst E-O Store.…

spc_125b.jpg
View of Phoenix Row as seen from the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. Cook's Block, the brick building on the left, was built about 1840. The upper floors were partially rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Other business blocks (from left to…

spc_129a.jpg
View of the east end of Phoenix Row on Main Street. The new Lincoln Block is in the foreground.

The Amherst Journal of 6/16/1950 states, "Built by the Allen Brothers of Amherst in 1909 and 1910, the structure was designed by James H. Ritchie of…

spc-167.jpg
View looking north from the junction of Amity and North Pleasant Streets. Horses and carts are parked in front of businesses and the streets are unpaved.

spc_207c.jpg
View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses visible in the Amherst House block include Harry H. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, and Campion & Fish.

The first…

spc_126.jpg
View of Phoenix Row seen from the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. Cook's Block, the brick building on the left, was built about 1840. The upper floors were partially rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Other business blocks (from left to right)…

spc-197b.jpg
View looking north on South Pleasant Street. Merchants' Row is on the left, Town Common is on the right, and horses with carriages are parked near the shops. The flag pole can be seen at the edge of the Town Common and a trolley car can be seen in…

spc-209a.jpg
This large hotel once stood on the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets and is shown here with both horse carts and automobiles parked in front.

lov0010.jpg
View looking north on South Pleasant Street. Merchants' Row is on the left, Town Common is on the right, and horses with carriages are parked near the shops. The flag pole can be seen at the edge of the Town Common.

lov0012.jpg
This building was constructed on the site of the Palmer Block, which was destroyed by fire during the Blizzard of 1888. It was designed by Henry S. McKay of Boston. Construction was completed in November 1890. The clock is installed in the tower in…

lov0025.jpg
Collage view of three Amherst scenes described as the Amherst House, Phoenix Row, and Dickinson Block.

lov0029.jpg
View of the Amherst House which was located on the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets. This is the second incarnation of the hotel and is shown here with people posing in front and the stagecoach parked on the side of the building. D. H.…

lov0031.jpg
This image is part of an advertisement for the E. D. Marsh furniture store and shows the company's horse and wagon parked beside the business. The advertisement reads: "The Amherst House furnished with furniture, carpets, and hangings by E. D. Marsh,…

lov0032.jpg
View showing Main Street (with a trolley car in the foreground), Town Hall, and the Town Common from the balcony of the Amherst House.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2