Browse Items (81 total)

  • Tags: Changing Physical Landscape

Map_Amherst_1833.jpg
Full title: A map of Amherst. With a view of the College and Mount Pleasant Institution. By Alonzo Gray & Charles B. Adams. Amherst College, May 1833. Pendleton's Lithography, Boston.

Pendleton's Lithography published many Massachusetts town plans…

Bachelder1857lithograph4.jpg
Birds-eye-view lithograph of Amherst. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Published by John B. Bachelder between 1855 and 1857.

Includes insets: Residence of Prof. Edward Hitchcock, Residence of L.S. Sweetser, esq.; Residence of Hon. Edward…

Market Livery Garage.jpg
The west side of North Pleasant Street, just north of Amity Street. Buildings (left to right) are: Variety Market; W. A. Wiley, Livery and Saddle Horses; the old Amherst Fire House; Kiely Brothers Ford sales and service; a private residence; and the…

Boltwood Walk aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the east side of North Pleasant Street south to Main Street, including the area that is now Boltwood Walk. Shows the location of the old Amherst Boys' Club building and the old High School and Junior High School on Lessey Street as…

barnes_fiske_cutler_house__BAR0176003.jpg
The Fiske/Cutler house was located at the corner of North Pleasant Street and Cowles Lane. The house was razed for the construction of St. Brigid's Church.

N Pleasant Street aerial view.jpg
Aerial view of the west side of North Pleasant Street south to Amity Street. The building which was the Elm Tree Inn, and which housed the Amherst Tavern, was the first house at the center of the photograph. The top of the Amherst House is visible in…

Kellogg House.jpg
Kellogg House on the corner of North Pleasant Street and Kellogg Avenue, which is the site of the present Post Office. It was owned by William Kellogg who owned the Kellogg Block that burned in 1923. Written on back: "Sign on house says Dr. Barrett.…

Amherst House fire.jpg
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…

Whipple House and Garage.jpg
Keily Brothers Ford Sales and Service is on the left and the Jones Library, when it was in operation in the Whipple House, is on the right. Next to the Jones Library is the delicatessen of Louis Pappas, and next to that is the house in which Pappas…

LookingsouthfromMountPleasant.jpg
View south from Mount Pleasant with the gambrel-roofed Davenport Inn (renamed the Mount Pleasant Inn in 1936) and North Pleasant Street on the right. Looking down a gently rolling hill dotted with shrubs and small trees.

map_north_amherst_and_cushman_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing North Amherst, including the Cushman area. Includes residences and landownership, businesses, cemeteries, schools, and railroads.

map_south_amherst_common_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing the common at South Amherst with property ownership marked.

Map_1873_Amherst_Center.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing Amherst town center area, including residences and landownership, businesses, cemeteries, schools, and railroads.

map_south_amherst_all_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing South Amherst area, including residences and landownership, businesses, cemeteries, schools, and railroads.

map_east_village_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing Amherst's East Village including residences and landownership, businesses, cemeteries, schools, and railroads.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2