Browse Items (95 total)

  • Tags: Churches

spc_second_congregational_church_1908.jpg
View of East Street showing the Second Congregational Church and parsonage, houses along the street, and a partial view of the common.

This church building is now the home of the Jewish Community of Amherst.

spc_second_cong_jl116.jpg
View of East Street showing the Second Congregational Church and parsonage, and the elaborate fountain on the common.

This church building is now the home of the Jewish Community of Amherst.

spc_164.jpg
View of the Unitarian Universalist Society building on North Pleasant Street with a partial view of the house next door. The church was built in 1893.

lov0005.jpg
View of the First Congregational Church from across Main Street.

Tags: ,

lov0006.jpg
View of the Old Chapel at Massachusetts Agricultural College, which was designed by architect Stephen C. Earle of Worcester and constructed in the years 1884-86. View looking across the campus pond which was created in 1892.

lov0008.jpg
View looking east down Main Street toward the First Congregational Church. There is a horse and wagon rolling down the street.

lov0014.jpg
Exterior view of the Amherst College church. Built in the 1870s, the church was razed in 1948 to make room for the Mead Art Gallery.

lov0016.jpg
View of Johnson Chapel and North and South dormitories and the walkway in front.

lov0021.jpg
View of Grace Episcopal Church, and First Congregational Church of Amherst.

lov0055_1.jpg
South College (in the foreground) is the oldest building on the College grounds and was constructed in 1820 and used as a dormitory. In 1891 it was extensively altered and modernized. The chapel, constructed in 1827, was used for morning prayers and…

lov0060_1.jpg
This church building was erected in 1870-71 from designs by W.A. Potter of New York and through the generosity of William F. Stearns, who contributed the largest portion of the funds for its erection. The gable ends of the building were decorated by…

lov0061_1.jpg
Interior of Stearns Church showing pews, arches, the right transept, the carved pillar at the entrance, and a magnificent organ in the background. The church seated about 600 people.

lov0097.jpg
This building was erected in 1828-29 as the third meetinghouse of First Congregational Church of Amherst. The pillars were removed by the church in 1861 and it was purchased by the College in 1867.

lov0118.jpg
View of Johnson Chapel with South College visible on the right and a long row of stairs leading up toward the buildings.

lov0119.jpg
View of College Hill showing North College, South College and Johnson Chapel. Edward Hitchcock, a professor who later became president of the College, was not pleased with the simple architecture of these buildings. He felt they "form an unsightly…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2