Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: Demolished houses

lov0074_1.jpg
This house was located on the north corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1886. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house. This chapter of the fraternity was the outgrowth of…

lov0182.jpg
View of the Amherst College Beta Theta Pi fraternity house. It stood on the corner of Maple Avenue (now Boltwood Avenue) and College Street. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house.

lov0183.jpg
View of the Amherst College Beta Theta Pi fraternity house. It stood on the corner of Maple Avenue (now Boltwood Avenue) and College Street. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house.

lov0073_1.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi house located on the corner of Northampton Road and South Prospect Street. This house was razed in 1922 for the construction of the new chapter house.

barnes_fiske_cutler_house__BAR0176003.jpg
The Fiske/Cutler house was located at the corner of North Pleasant Street and Cowles Lane. The house was razed for the construction of St. Brigid's Church.

lov0067_1.jpg
This building on Boltwood Avenue at the south end of the Town Common, formerly the Boltwood Mansion, was acquired by the College in 1892 and remodeled as Hitchcock Hall. It became the College dining commons with a capacity of about one hundred table…

Kellogg House.jpg
Kellogg House on the corner of North Pleasant Street and Kellogg Avenue, which is the site of the present Post Office. It was owned by William Kellogg who owned the Kellogg Block that burned in 1923. Written on back: "Sign on house says Dr. Barrett.…

lov0077_1.jpg
This house, known as the Houghton place, was located on the south corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue. I was purchased by the fraternity in 1894, and sold to Amherst College in 1912. The house was demolished in 1913.

lov0070_1.jpg
This building, originally the residence of the first president of Amherst College, was erected on the south corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets. It was purchased by the fraternity in 1879 and was sold in 1912, after the construction of the new…

lov0081_1.jpg
This building (birthplace of Helen Hunt Jackson) was erected on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street. It was eventually demolished and is now the site of the Tyler House, Amherst College residence hall.

lov0076_1.jpg
This house was located on the corner of Northampton Road and Lincoln Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1889. It was demolished, along with the house of Professor Levi Henry Elwell, for the construction of the fraternity's new house in…

DemolishDoctorsHouseResized2.jpg
Article about the history of the dwelling that was locally known as the "Doctors' House" on Amity Street in reference to the succession of doctors who had lived and practiced there over the years. A number of doctors are described, particularly Dr.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2