Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Emily Dickinson

homestead_lithograph-1856.jpg
Lithograph of the Dickinson Homestead on Main Street shortly after the Homestead was reacquired by Edward Dickinson.

Bachelder1857lithograph4.jpg
Birds-eye-view lithograph of Amherst. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Published by John B. Bachelder between 1855 and 1857.

Includes insets: Residence of Prof. Edward Hitchcock, Residence of L.S. Sweetser, esq.; Residence of Hon. Edward…

Atlas_of_Heavens.pdf
This atlas includes diagrams of the planets and constellations of both hemispheres. It accompanies a textbook of the same name and was studied by Emily Dickinson while at Amherst Academy. It has hand painted color and is bound in brown cardboard…

CutlerStorePage2.jpg
George Cutler & Co. account book page showing purchases by Edward Dickinson and William Austin Dickinson.

Obit.pdf
Newspaper clipping of the obituary of Emily Dickinson written by Susan Dickinson and published in the Springfield Republican (May 18, 1886) and the Amherst Record (May 19, 1886).

lov0305.jpg
View west on Main Street toward the center of town from about where the Dickinson Homestead is. Trees, hedges, and fences line the dirt sidewalks, and the road is unpaved and rutted.

lov0335.jpg
View of Main Street looking east, showing the William Austin Dickinson house and the Emily Dickinson house. People are standing on the sidewalk. This image shows the area near the current Sweetser Park.

lov0339.jpg
View east down the middle of Main Street with the First Congregational Church on the right and a section of one of the Dickinson houses on the left.

lov0360.jpg
This building stood at the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Street. Samuel K. Orr remodeled it as a modern drug store and opened his shop there in 1859. According to the Springfield Republican (October 22, 1864 edition, page 8) William F. Gunn…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1088.jpg
This business block is called Palmer Block and is where Emily Dickinson's father and brother operated their law firm. Written on verso: "C.J.W. from Mother Dec. 25, 1875."

AmherstRecordHomeAlmanac1877Resized.pdf
Almanac "containing matters of local interest, local business announcements...also some pages of miscellaneous reading." Includes a chronology of notable events (both local and national) for 1876, Amherst marriages and deaths for the year, statistics…

Attractions.pdf
This 24-page brochure describes Amherst during Emily Dickinson's lifetime including the landscape, highlights of Amherst College, changes to Kellogg Block, and businesses in Amherst center. There is a good description of the merchandise sold in each…

Scott_Prior_drawing.jpg
Interpretive drawing of Emily Dickinson done in pen, ink, and ink wash by local artist Scott Prior.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2