Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Fraternities and Sororities

lov0171.jpg
View of the first Amherst College President's House on South Pleasant Street after it was bought and renovated by Psi Upsilon fraternity in 1879.

lov0078_1.jpg
This house on Lessey Street was the home of Luke Sweetser, a prominent Amherst businessman. After he died the Oak Grove School for Girls was run here. In 1903, it became the home of the Amherst College fraternity Phi Gamma Delta.

lov0077_1.jpg
This house, known as the Houghton place, was located on the south corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue. I was purchased by the fraternity in 1894, and sold to Amherst College in 1912. The house was demolished in 1913.

lov0076_1.jpg
This house was located on the corner of Northampton Road and Lincoln Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1889. It was demolished, along with the house of Professor Levi Henry Elwell, for the construction of the fraternity's new house in…

lov0075_1.jpg
This house on College Street was the first Chi Phi fraternity house in Amherst. The fraternity's second house was constructed in 1917.

lov0074_1.jpg
This house was located on the north corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1886. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house. This chapter of the fraternity was the outgrowth of…

lov0073_1.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi house located on the corner of Northampton Road and South Prospect Street. This house was razed in 1922 for the construction of the new chapter house.

lov0072_1.jpg
View of the Amherst College Delta Upsilon house on South Pleasant Street, purchased by the fraternity in 1882. The fraternity had a new house constructed in a different location in 1915, and Amherst College bought the property in 1917. The house was…

lov0071_1.jpg
This house, on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street, was purchased by Delta Kappa Epsilon after a disastrous fire in their room in Cook's Block in 1881. The chapter remained here until they had a new house built in 1914.

lov0070_1.jpg
This building, originally the residence of the first president of Amherst College, was erected on the south corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets. It was purchased by the fraternity in 1879 and was sold in 1912, after the construction of the new…

lov0069_1.jpg
View of the Alpha Delta Phi house, contructed in 1890 on the north corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets, with the old chapter house (the Sellon house) visible behind it. The materials used in construction were Elyria sandstone, pressed brick, and…

lov0026.jpg
Collage view of four Amherst College fraternity houses described as Beta Theta Pi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Chi Psi, and Phi Delta Theta.

lov0024.jpg
Collage view of four Amherst College fraternities listed as Alpha Delta Phi, Psi Upsilon, Chi Phi, Delta Upsilon, and two views of Whately Glen.

lov0018.jpg
View of the Amherst Town Hall and the Amherst College Alpha Delta Phi fraternity house.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2