Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: Health

lov0058_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1860, and was named for Dr. Benjamin Barrett, a large contributor to the fund for its construction. Amherst was the first College to introduce gymnastic exercise as a part of regular College work.

lov0059_1.jpg
This building was completed in 1884, and cost $68,000. It received its name in honor of Mr. Charles M. Pratt, of the class of 1879, through whose generosity it was erected. The first floor contained the office of the Professor of Hygiene and Physical…

lov0122.jpg
View of Barrett Gymnasium with students in front and landscaped with trees and lawn.

lov0123.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…

lov0124.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…

lov0125.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The Barrett Gymnasium, erected in 1860 at a cost of $10,000, was largely the means of developing the system of physical culture for which Amherst is justly famous. It was the first building…

lov0364.jpg
This is the Dr. William F. Sellon house, rumoured to have had a subcellar connected to a tunnel which ran under Sellon Street to the house across. Dr. Sellon was an Amherst physician who built the house around 1824 and later ran a water cure facility…

lov1076.jpg
"Hotel Orient Springs," located in the Pelham Hills, was so named by Edward Hitchcock at the dedication on April 29, 1861. Written on the back of an advertising card: "No summer resort has so many attractions as the Orient Springs House. Besides the…

amherst_trade_cards_4.jpg
This trade card advertises the optical business which was run by Edgar R. Bennett from sometime in the 1880s through 1903. Bennett was a watchmaker, jeweler, optician, and bicycle agent. His shop was in Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street.

smith_acctbk_31.jpg
Many of the early settlers combined some other occupation with that of farming. Nathaniel Smith, who was among the first of the East Inhabitants of Hadley, was a doctor, the first to practice his profession in the new settlement.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2