Browse Items (91 total)

  • Tags: Houses

spc_175a.jpg
View of the back of Pine Street showing homes along the street. Taken from the third floor balcony of the Home For Aged Women on North Pleasant Street where the photographer, Edgar Scott, lived in his later years.

Depicted from left:
1. Home of…

homestead_lithograph-1856.jpg
Lithograph of the Dickinson Homestead on Main Street shortly after the Homestead was reacquired by Edward Dickinson.

lov0069_1.jpg
View of the Alpha Delta Phi house, contructed in 1890 on the north corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets, with the old chapter house (the Sellon house) visible behind it. The materials used in construction were Elyria sandstone, pressed brick, and…

lov0070_1.jpg
This building, originally the residence of the first president of Amherst College, was erected on the south corner of Pleasant and Sellen Streets. It was purchased by the fraternity in 1879 and was sold in 1912, after the construction of the new…

lov0071_1.jpg
This house, on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street, was purchased by Delta Kappa Epsilon after a disastrous fire in their room in Cook's Block in 1881. The chapter remained here until they had a new house built in 1914.

lov0072_1.jpg
View of the Amherst College Delta Upsilon house on South Pleasant Street, purchased by the fraternity in 1882. The fraternity had a new house constructed in a different location in 1915, and Amherst College bought the property in 1917. The house was…

lov0073_1.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi house located on the corner of Northampton Road and South Prospect Street. This house was razed in 1922 for the construction of the new chapter house.

lov0074_1.jpg
This house was located on the north corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1886. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house. This chapter of the fraternity was the outgrowth of…

lov0075_1.jpg
This house on College Street was the first Chi Phi fraternity house in Amherst. The fraternity's second house was constructed in 1917.

lov0076_1.jpg
This house was located on the corner of Northampton Road and Lincoln Avenue, and was purchased by the fraternity in 1889. It was demolished, along with the house of Professor Levi Henry Elwell, for the construction of the fraternity's new house in…

lov0077_1.jpg
This house, known as the Houghton place, was located on the south corner of College Street and Boltwood Avenue. I was purchased by the fraternity in 1894, and sold to Amherst College in 1912. The house was demolished in 1913.

lov0080_1.jpg
This brick house on College Street belonged to Julius H. Seelye, who was President of Amherst College from 1876 to 1890.

lov0081_1.jpg
This building (birthplace of Helen Hunt Jackson) was erected on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street. It was eventually demolished and is now the site of the Tyler House, Amherst College residence hall.

lov0082_1.jpg
Home of Professor John Mason Tyler on Tyler Place in Amherst.

lov0084_1.jpg
This photograph shows Northampton Road looking west and showing the residences of Professors Neill and Cowles and another house on the east side of the street.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2