Browse Items (43 total)

  • Tags: Inns and hotels

lov0387.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House, a large hotel and business block. The first Amherst House was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879. Horses and carriages are parked on the street. Businesses visible are O. G. Couch, Deuel, and…

lov0386.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House, a large hotel and business block. The first Amherst House was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879.

lov0385.jpg
View of the second incarnation of the Amherst House before the sign was installed and with a view of Merchants' Row, Paige's Livery and the Amity Street School.

lov0384.jpg
View of construction of the second Amherst House during the winter of 1880. In this photograph the building is surrounded by scaffolding and there are laborers standing on scaffolding near the peak of the roof.

lov0383.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the building was enlarged and the name changed to the Amherst House. There were community dinners held in the…

lov0382.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0380.jpg
View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the name was changed to the Amherst House. It provided lodging for travelers coming by stage from Northampton,…

lov0377.jpg
View on South Pleasant Street showing business blocks of Merchants' Row with the newly constructed Amherst House on the right.

lov0376.jpg
View on South Pleasant Street showing business blocks of Merchants' Row with the newly constructed Amherst House on the right. Some of the businesses have awnings.

lov0362.jpg
View on North Prospect Street with a portion of the Prospect House visible on the left and the Strong House just visible through the trees on the right.

lov0361.jpg
The horse team of W. D. Cowls rests in front of Frank P. Wood's Hotel and Livery (corner of Amity and North Pleasant Streets) after the Blizzard of 1888, accompanied by a large group of men and boys. A number of such teams were formed to clear the…

lov0359.jpg
View west down Amity Street from the corner after the Blizzard of 1888 showing Frank P. Wood's Hotel and the houses on the right side where the Jones Library now sits. Large drifts of snow line the street.

lov0358.jpg
This building was located on the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Streets. It was previously owned by William F. Gunn and named Gunn's Hotel. There are two women standing, and several men seated, on the veranda. Wood's livery stable is shown to the…

lov0314.jpg
View looking west up Main Street with the Amherst House in the background. At right is the American House Block (with pillars) and Hutchinson's harness store. At left is Palmer Block, now the site of the Town Hall. There are horses and wagons in the…

lov0309.jpg
View looking west toward the Amherst House from the middle of Main Street in front of Phoenix Row after the Blizzard of 1888. There are two men shoveling and snow is piled high.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2