Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Schools

Mount_Pleasant_Classical_Institution.jpg
This institution offered boys a classical education and was a well-known school throughout the Connecticut Valley and beyond in the 1830s. The school closed around 1836 and remained empty for awhile. The wings were removed to other areas of town. One…

lov1087.jpg
This Amherst High School building was located on Spring Street in Amherst from 1867 to 1916.

lov1044.jpg
Group portrait of a class on the steps of a school. Jennie L. Cowles taught at First Intermediate School in Amherst for many years after graduating from Amherst High School in 1871; she stopped teaching in 1885. Students listed on verso of photograph…

lov1043.jpg
Group portrait of young women with two men and one child. Some of the women are holding books. This could be a young ladies school or a summer school.

lov1042.jpg
View of a group of young children sitting in chairs outside a house. There are a few older children standing and a couple of women. This is possibly a kindergarten or Sunday-school class.

lov0281.jpg
View of Paige's Livery Stable, next to the Amity Street School, with horses, employees, and the Amherst House stagecoach with driver. This building became the Amherst Theater. Stated in The Village of Amherst, a Landmark of Light, by Frank Prentice …

lov0280.jpg
View looking west down Amity Street from the center of town. On the left is a corner of the Amherst House, Paige's Livery, and the Amity Street School. First building on the right is Gunn's Hotel. There are horses and carriages in the street.

lov0279.jpg
View looking west down Amity Street from the center of town. On the left is a corner of the Amherst House, Paige's Livery, and the Amity Street School. First building on the right is Gunn's Hotel. There is a flyer on the first tree on the right.

lov0278.jpg
Exterior view of Amity Street school which stood on the site of the parking lot across from the Jones Library.

lov0277.jpg
Exterior view of the old Amherst High School building on Spring Street.

lov0247.jpg
View over the Town Common and toward the center of town along Boltwood Avenue. Amity Street School is visible in the left background.

lov0244.jpg
View over the Town Common and toward the center of town along Boltwood Avenue. Amity Street School is visible in the left background.

lov0242.jpg
View over the Town Common and toward the center of town along Boltwood Avenue. Amity Street School is visible in the left background.

lov0078_1.jpg
This house on Lessey Street was the home of Luke Sweetser, a prominent Amherst businessman. After he died the Oak Grove School for Girls was run here. In 1903, it became the home of the Amherst College fraternity Phi Gamma Delta.

lov0030.jpg
This image is part of an advertisement for Amherst House Livery Feed and Hack Stable and shows an assortment of carriages and wagons with horses. The Amity Street School is visible on the right. The advertisement reads: "Guests of Amherst House are…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2