Browse Items (18 total)

  • Tags: Sports

spc-puffers_pond_c1914.jpg
View of a young boy fishing at Mill Pond in Cushman. The pond was at the corner of State Street and East Leverett Road and was the water source for the mills downstream, including the Roberts mill.

Amherst_Trade_Cards_3_Front.jpg
Trade card for the Amherst Roller Rink, a roller-skating establishment which was located in Palmer Hall (today the site of Amherst Town Hall) in the 1880s.

spc_627.jpg
A crowd watches a game of tug of war between freshman and sophomore classes at the pond of the Massachusetts Agricultural College.

spc_635.jpg
Students play ice hockey on the Massachusetts Agricultural College pond.

spc_628a.jpg
A crowd watches a game of tug of war between freshman and sophomore classes at the pond of the Massachusetts Agricultural College.

spc_630.jpg
A crowd watches a game of tug of war between freshman and sophomore classes at the pond of the Massachusetts Agricultural College.

spc-423b.jpg
Display of flying vehicles over Pratt Field during a baseball game, which includes zeppelins, hot air balloons, and early airplanes. The caption on the photograph reads, "High times on Pratt Field. Cheer for old Amherst."

amherst_bicycle_club.jpg
Photograph of the Amherst Bicycle Club taken in the Brattleboro, Vermont, studio of C. L. Howe on May 16, 1881. Members are wearing athletic clothes of the day and posed with a high wheeler bicycle.

Tags: ,

lov0058_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1860, and was named for Dr. Benjamin Barrett, a large contributor to the fund for its construction. Amherst was the first College to introduce gymnastic exercise as a part of regular College work.

lov0059_1.jpg
This building was completed in 1884, and cost $68,000. It received its name in honor of Mr. Charles M. Pratt, of the class of 1879, through whose generosity it was erected. The first floor contained the office of the Professor of Hygiene and Physical…

lov0079_1.jpg
The proposal for Pratt Field and grandstand, located on Northampton Road, was initiated, and the cost met, in 1890 by Frederic B. Pratt of the class of 1887. The grandstand was built in 1891 and had a seating capacity of around four hundred. It also…

lov0426.jpg
This is an early baseball game in progress in a field next to South College. Athletics were introduced to the campus in 1868 when the Wilder Baseball Association was organized. The ball club was named in honor of trustee Marshall P. Wilder, who…

lov1006.jpg
View of East College dormitory before the completion of Stearns Chapel in 1873. There is a group of students in front playing baseball.

Winter fun at Mt Pleasant.jpg
Children skiing and sledding down the hill in front of Mount Pleasant Institute toward East Pleasant Street.

2269ShaolinKungFu.jpg
Children demonstrating martial arts poses on the Town Common at the 2008 Taste of Amherst. The demonstration was sponsored by Shaolin Kung Fu of Amherst. In the background is the vehicle painted with the logo for the radio station 93.9 "The River."
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2