Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Transportation

cj2172.jpg
View down the length of the covered bridge. A man, possibly Richard Johnson, stands, leaning an arm against one corner looking over at the stream below. A sign over the bridge is a warning about a six ton weight limit and anyone crossing the bridge…

AccountBookConnRiverCommerceResized.pdf
Account book kept by unknown person recording transportation of goods such as salt, molasses, and rum, up and down the Connecticut River during the years 1753 through 1756.

amherst_record_colleges_hampshire_college_longsworth_charles_and_polly_09261968.jpg
Charles and Polly Longsworth on a bicycle on the Hampshire College campus. The Johnson Library can be seen in the background. September 26, 1968

barnes_bar0013038_harris_barnes_boat_three_rowboats_tbt.jpg
Photograph of Harris Barnes' boat and three rowboats on a lake at Camp Coolidge, a boy scout camp on Lake Neesoponsett in North Dana, Massachusetts. Harris and Prayne Barnes are in the boat.

spc_640.jpg
View of a ferry crossing the Connecticut River from Northampton to Hockanum in Hadley with Mount Holyoke in the background.

cj2175a.jpg
A ferry carries a horse-drawn carriage across the Connecticut river. Two women and a girl sit on the carriage, one holding a parasol. Two gentlemen, one in the front, one in the back guide the ferry as a third gentleman stands looking across to the…

cj2164.jpg
A horse-drawn carriage faces away from the camera approaching the covered Fort River bridge seen in the middleground. A little fence leads up to it, some bare trees are scattered around, a line of telegraph poles line the right side of the photograph…

jones_library_1932_cars_outside.jpg
The exterior of The Jones Library in the 1930s with 3 cars parked outside. Caption on reverse reads, "c. 1932"

Parking and Jones Library 1928.jpg
View of the east side of the library and the First National Bank with street parking for both cars and horses.

Layingtrolleytracks (2).jpg
Upper Main Street is torn up as men lay track for the Amherst and Sunderland Street Railroad. Business blocks in Phoenix Row are visible on the right, and the Amherst House is visible in the background.

lov0011.jpg
View of trolley tracks winding through hills at the Notch with "Little Mountain" in the background.

amherst_relocated_houses_marsh_house_1989_tbt.jpg
Mar 23, 1989, moving #109 Main St. to new site enar the rail road opposite Sweetser park. Police Chief D m Maia in black hat. Masonic Hall, Town Hall in background.

cj2170.jpg
Two men stand by the roadside in front of a building halfway between house, barn for horses, wagons, and steam engines, and station at lower end of covered track to Summit House.

misc_photographs_south_pleasant_st.jpg
Construction of a sidewalk along South Pleasant Street at a time when Amherst residents used a horse and carriage or the trolley to get to town.

spc-197b.jpg
View looking north on South Pleasant Street. Merchants' Row is on the left, Town Common is on the right, and horses with carriages are parked near the shops. The flag pole can be seen at the edge of the Town Common and a trolley car can be seen in…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2