Browse Items (102 total)

  • Tags: UMASS

lov0006.jpg
View of the Old Chapel at Massachusetts Agricultural College, which was designed by architect Stephen C. Earle of Worcester and constructed in the years 1884-86. View looking across the campus pond which was created in 1892.

lov0027.jpg
Collage view of three Massachusetts Agricultural College buildings described as South College, Botanic Museum, and North College.

Tags: ,

lov0028.jpg
Collage view of three buildings at Massachusetts Agricultural College, and two area scenes described as the Insectary, Botanical Laboratory, and Drill Hall; also two views of the waterfall in Whateley Glen.

Tags: ,

lov0043.jpg
View of the dormitories and chapel/library at Massachusetts Agricultural College.

Tags: ,

lov0044.jpg
View of the barn, veterinary lab, and hospital stable at Massachusetts Agricultural College.

Tags: ,

lov0045.jpg
View of the Botanic Museum, Hatch Experiment Station Lab, and Durfee Plant House.

Tags: ,

lov0046.jpg
View of the drill hall with three cannons on the lawn. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock (1894): The drill Hall was erected in 1883, at an expenditure of $6500. The Armory, at the right of the entrance, contains the arms furnished by…

lov0409.jpg
This fountain was given to Massachusetts Agricultural College as a memorial by the Class of 1882. It is described as having a thistle and crane design, with a boy and a duck near the top. It was made of bronze and stood eight feet six inches tall.…

lov0410.jpg
Durfee Plant House was built in 1867 with funds donated by Dr. Nathan Durfee of Fall River (one of the first trustees of Massachusetts Agricultural College) and Leonard and Henry F. Hills of Amherst. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1883 and…

lov0411.jpg
The Botanic Museum was completed in December of 1867 and destroyed by fire in 1967. View includes an elaborate water fountain which was donated to Massachusetts Agricultural College by the Ladies of Amherst.

lov0412.jpg
North College was one of the first buildings constructed in 1867 as housing for students attending the Massachusetts Agricultural College. It stood until about 1957 when it was raised for the construction of new college buildings. A water fountain is…

lov0413.jpg
South College was used as a dormitory in the early years of Massachusetts Agricultural College. Built in 1867, it was gutted by fire in the winter of 1885 and rebuilt, using some of the walls of the original building which had not burned.

lov0414.jpg
Built in 1869, this structure housed the chemistry lab, a chapel, and a military hall and armory. It burned in September of 1922.

lov0415.jpg
View of the drill hall with one cannon on the lawn. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock (1894): The drill Hall was erected in 1883, at an expenditure of $6500. The Armory, at the right of the entrance, contains the arms furnished by…

lov0416.jpg
Pelham granite and Longmeadow sandstone were used in the construction of this chapel, which was dedicated in 1886. The architect was Stephen C. Earle of Worcester. Initially, the college library operated on the first floor and the chapel on the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2