Field Building in Amherst

Image

lov0360.jpg

Title

Field Building in Amherst

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This building stood at the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Street. Samuel K. Orr remodeled it as a modern drug store and opened his shop there in 1859. According to the Springfield Republican (October 22, 1864 edition, page 8) William F. Gunn bought the building at auction for $3,000. He remodeled it and opened it as a hotel. In this photograph, there are several men standing with a horse and carriage in front of Orr's shop. Some of the men are listed as: Austin Dickinson by rear wheel; Capt. Mark Dickinson holding horse, Dr. Smith (Benjamin F.?) in carriage.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

1859

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0360

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

6.9 x 8.9 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Field Building in Amherst,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 13, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/447.