First fraternity house established in Amherst

Image

lov0364.jpg

Title

First fraternity house established in Amherst

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This is the Dr. William F. Sellon house, rumoured to have had a subcellar connected to a tunnel which ran under Sellon Street to the house across. Dr. Sellon was an Amherst physician who built the house around 1824 and later ran a water cure facility here. It was purchased by the Alpa Delta Phi fraternity in 1874. (See Walker scrapbook 5, page 733, for story of Sellon and the house.)

View of a beautiful, large house with Alpha Delta Phi fraternity members standing in front. Written on the back of photograph, "George Cook's girls school, Madam Barron music teacher; bought for fraternity in 1874 from T. Hersey; new fraternity building dedicated in 1890; this house gutted by fire November 28, 1924; site of the famous water cure."

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1874

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0364

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

5.3 x 8 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “First fraternity house established in Amherst,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 15, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/451.