Amherst House on South Pleasant Street

Image

lov0383.jpg

Title

Amherst House on South Pleasant Street

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

View of the first incarnation of the Amherst House. It was previously known as the Boltwood Tavern. The establishment was sold in 1838 and the building was enlarged and the name changed to the Amherst House. There were community dinners held in the dining rooms here at times. This view shows a number of guests standing on the balcony. The building was destroyed by fire on July 4, 1879.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Before 1879

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0383; Folder: Amherst- Streets- South Pleasant- Buildings- Hotels- Amherst House (burned 1879)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

3.7 x 6 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Amherst House on South Pleasant Street,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 12, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/470.