Drill Hall at Massachusetts Agricultural College

Image

lov0415.jpg

Title

Drill Hall at Massachusetts Agricultural College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

View of the drill hall with one cannon on the lawn. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock (1894): The drill Hall was erected in 1883, at an expenditure of $6500. The Armory, at the right of the entrance, contains the arms furnished by the state to the college corps of cadets. The main hall is 123 feet long and 48 feet wide, and has an asphalt floor. It is heated by a hot-water system, introduced in 1888. This comfortable winter quarters of the corps is used by the students as a gymnasium. The second floor of the building contains the commandant's office, and a recitation room for the classes in military tactics science. A short stairway leads into the tower of the building. On the campus adjoining this building are earthworks for use in mortar practice -- a part of the regular military training of the college.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1883

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0415

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

2.2 x 3.7 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Drill Hall at Massachusetts Agricultural College,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 16, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/502.