Conkey's Tavern and outbuilding

Image

lov0477.jpg

Title

Conkey's Tavern and outbuilding

Subject

Shays' Rebellion, 1786-1787
Pelham (Mass.)

Description

View of dilapidated Conkey's Tavern showing the lean-to which housed the kitchen in back. Excerpted from short history on back of photograph: "This historic tavern was built in 1758 by William Conkey, in the deep valley, midway between Pelham East and West hills and near the west branch of Swift River, which was made the boundary between Pelham and Prescott when the latter was incorporated in 1822. Capt. Daniel Shays, the leader of the famous Shays Rebellion, lived half a mile distant up toward East hill, his house and the tavern being on the "Center range" road running due east and west through Pelham. It was at this tavern beside the wide open fireplaces of Landlord Conkey and by his well-stocked bar, that Shays met the debt-burdened yeomanry in 1786-7."

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1883

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0477

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

4.25 x 7.5 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Conkey's Tavern and outbuilding,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 15, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/564.