Mount Pleasant Classical Institute in Amherst

Image

Mount_Pleasant_Classical_Institution.jpg

Title

Mount Pleasant Classical Institute in Amherst

Subject

Schools
Education
Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This institution offered boys a classical education and was a well-known school throughout the Connecticut Valley and beyond in the 1830s. The school closed around 1836 and remained empty for awhile. The wings were removed to other areas of town. One became a tenement on North Pleasant Street known as the "Bee Hive." Other sections were removed to Northampton Road. John A. Nash opened a school in the remaining central part of the building in 1846 (Carpenter & Morehouse, page 271).

The illustrator, Liberato Cardella, was listed as instructor in Italian, music, and drawing at the Institute in May 1831. Cf. Groce and Wallace. The New-York Historical Society's dictionary of artists in America (New Haven, 1957), p. 108.

Creator

Cardella, Liberato

Source

Pendleton's Lithography

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1835

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational uses, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Format

image/jpg

Language

English

Type

Prints

Identifier

Folder: Mount Pleasant Classical Institute

Original Format

Lithograph

Physical Dimensions

5.25 x 9 in.

Citation

Cardella, Liberato, “Mount Pleasant Classical Institute in Amherst,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 16, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/750.