Browse Items (2296 total)

NorthPleasantStreetRobertsBlockarea.jpg
The large building next to Louis Foods was the Elm Tree Inn. It was purchased by Everett Roberts in 1948 from the owner, Louis Pappas. It was subsequently moved back and to the right and remodeled to form the Roberts Block.

RemodellingOfOldSt.BridgetsChurch.jpg
Old St. Bridget's Church (renamed St. Brigid's) on North Pleasant Street viewed during the process of remodeling. From 1925 to 1927 (after the new church building was constructed) it was called St. Brigid's Hall. It was then sold and remodeled into…

Paige'sGarageAndCrew.jpg
Photograph of the owners and employees of Paige's Garage standing before the gas pumps. This was a Socony station. Socony was a shortened name for Standard Oil Company of New York. The horse Pegasus, the oil company logo, is visible on the pumps and…

AmherstBoysClubFridayNightMembers.jpg
Group portrait of members of the Amherst Boys Club with the clubhouse in the background. Written on back: "A portion of the Friday p.m. Boys Club. We have a membership of 45 boys representing all churches - Protestant, Catholic, Jewish."

AmherstBoysClubCleanupDay.jpg
Members of the Amherst Boys Club working on a project on Cleanup Day. Boys are at work shoveling dirt near a parked a two-horse cart filled with dirt. Kellogg Avenue School is in the background.

Roberts_Flower_Shop.jpg
View of the small flower shop run by William Roberts and Cora Farmer located just north of Cowles Lane. This house was incorporated into the business block that exists now and became Knowles Flower Shop.

Commercial blocks, Main Street.jpg
Main Street businesses from Cook's Block east to the Lincoln Building. Visible businesses include W. F. Aubuchon Co., Town House Restaurant, Douglass-Marsh Furniture, The Gift Nook, and Bosco Cleaners. The two businesses on the left side of the…

CandyKitchenInCarpentersHall.jpg
This is the area behind the commercial blocks on the north side of upper Main Street in Amherst where Bueno Y Sano is now located. The College Candy Kitchen was located in the Nash Block before the fire in February of 1928 destroyed the building. The…

Loitering_at_Amherst_House2R.jpg
The Amherst House Block stood at the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets. The Amherst House Hotel was in operation on the upper levels and a number of businesses were located on the street level. Note the Jones Library signs on the second…

AtFrostsHome1936.jpg
Photograph taken at Robert Frost's home in Amherst of five poets (from left to right): Joseph Auslander, Robert Frost, Audrey Wurdemann, David Morton, and Robert Francis.

jones_library_192701_whipple_house.jpg
The Whipple House, which once housed the Jones Library. "Jan 1927" is written on the bottom right of the photo.

barnes_bar0013038_harris_barnes_boat_three_rowboats_tbt.jpg
Photograph of Harris Barnes' boat and three rowboats on a lake at Camp Coolidge, a boy scout camp on Lake Neesoponsett in North Dana, Massachusetts. Harris and Prayne Barnes are in the boat.

francis_robert_with_family_tbt.jpg
Photograph of Robert Francis and family members sitting at a table outside under trellises. Francis' father Ebenezer F. Francis and stepmother Ida May Allen Francis are sitting across from Robert (fourth from left).

map_north_amherst_and_cushman_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing North Amherst, including the Cushman area. Includes residences and landownership, businesses, cemeteries, schools, and railroads.

map_south_amherst_common_1873.jpg
View of a section of the Beers' 1873 Hampshire County atlas showing the common at South Amherst with property ownership marked.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2