Browse Items (79 total)

  • Tags: Jones Library

This is the old fire station which stood on North Pleasant Street during its deconstruction. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1930. The gambrel roof of the new Jones Library building is visible in the background.

Jones Library Whipple House.jpg
Photograph taken from in front of the Whipple House on North Pleasant Street. The Jones Library operations moved into this house two days after the disastrous fire that destroyed the Amherst House in December of 1926. The elliptical window (barely…

Amherst House fire.jpg
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…

Whipple House and Garage.jpg
Keily Brothers Ford Sales and Service is on the left and the Jones Library, when it was in operation in the Whipple House, is on the right. Next to the Jones Library is the delicatessen of Louis Pappas, and next to that is the house in which Pappas…

View of Amity Street and Amherst Academy building, where Emily Dickinson went to school. The Academy building is three and one-half stories and federal style. The building was razed in 1868. Rev. David Parsons House is on the right. The Jones Library…

Article about the history of the dwelling that was locally known as the "Doctors' House" on Amity Street in reference to the succession of doctors who had lived and practiced there over the years. A number of doctors are described, particularly Dr.…

The Amherst House Block stood at the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets. The Amherst House Hotel was in operation on the upper levels and a number of businesses were located on the street level. Note the Jones Library signs on the second…

Charles Green, Paul Harris, and Ray Stannard Baker stand in front of the Jones Library in 1935

Ray Stannard Baker working at his desk in the Jones Library in 1941

Charles Green, Paul Harris, and Ray Stannard Baker stand in front of the Jones Library in 1935. A placard listing upcoming events is partially visible behind Baker.

Daily tally board, in the periodical lounge, during the January 1977 inventory of the Jones Library

While the Jones Library was housed at the Amherst House these children enjoyed story hour.

In 2002 the Jones Library completely transferred from the card catalog to a digital system. Cards from the card catalog were signed by authors and illustrators and then sold to raise money for the library. Here patrons are picking out what cards to…

Aaron Lansky and Becky Sheridan Lockwood at the 2015 Sammys Awards held at the National Yiddish Book Center.

Former Curator of Special Collections, Dan Lombardo, peruses a large map.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2