South College dormitory at Amherst College

Image

lov0120.jpg

Title

South College dormitory at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

South College flanked by Johnson Chapel on the left and Appleton Cabineton the right. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "It is the oldest building on the college grounds, originally containing both recitation and living rooms. Its corner-stone was laid in the summer of 1820 by the trustees of Amherst Academy, and the building completed in a little more than three months, the dedication occurring in September of the year following. The institution was then known as the Amherst Charitable Institution. Noah Webster, president of the Academy, and afterward president of the trustees of the Institution, delivered the oration at the laying of the corner-stone."

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Before 1903

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0120

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

5.4 x 8.2 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “South College dormitory at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed September 23, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/209.