Johnson Chapel at Amherst College

Image

lov0153.jpg

Title

Johnson Chapel at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

Erected in the years 1826-27, Johnson Chapel was named for Adam Johnson of Pelham who gave most of the money to build it. Hiram Johnson and Warren S. Howland, both of Amherst, helped with the construction. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "In favorable weather the ascent of the College Chapel tower will repay the visitor. There are ninety-eight steps to climb, and the summit commands a magnificent view of the Connecticut Valley."

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Before 1903

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0153

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 2.1 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Johnson Chapel at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed September 23, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/242.