Old village church meetinghouse

Image

lov1009.jpg

Title

Old village church meetinghouse

Subject

Stereographs
Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed it College Hall. The east portico was restored by the College in 1905. The building still stands at the corner of South Pleasant Street and Northampton Road. Emily Dickinson and her family went to church here.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1861

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV1009

Original Format

Photograph

Condition

fair

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Old village church meetinghouse,” Digital Amherst, accessed September 23, 2017, http://www.digitalamherst.org/items/show/585.