Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: Fire

The Whipple House, which once housed the Jones Library. "Jan 1927" is written on the bottom right of the photo.

Exterior of the Amherst House Hotel. The Jones Library was housed on the second floor until the building burned in 1926.

This image shows the smoldering scene the morning after the fire that decimated the Amherst House on the evening of December 9, 1926.

Firefighters aim a powerful jet of water at this burning restaurant across from the Town Common. More than 40 Amherst and UMass firefighters fought the blaze for hours in near zero weather before it was brought under control.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2