Jones Library Collection
Jones Library Collection
Established in 1919, The Jones Library is the public library for the Town of Amherst, Massachusetts. The Jones Library Collection contains photographs of the Jones Library, its programs, exhibits, events, and staff.
Jones Library Special Collections
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…
Daily tally board, in the periodical lounge, during the January 1977 inventory of the Jones Library
While the Jones Library was housed at the Amherst House these children enjoyed story hour.
In 2002 the Jones Library completely transferred from the card catalog to a digital system. Cards from the card catalog were signed by authors and illustrators and then sold to raise money for the library. Here patrons are picking out what cards to…
The Burnett Gallery in the 1928 Jones Library before the renovation in the early 1990s.
This is the front hallway of the Jones Library before the renovation in the early 1990s.
Early internet station in the Jones Library Reference Department.
French cooking expert Charlotte Turgeon demonstrates cooking with chocolate.
The whole auditorium at the Jones Library was filled with flowers during this flower show held in 1935. This view shows the portion of the show that filled the stage.
This image shows the smoldering scene the morning after the fire that decimated the Amherst House on the evening of December 9, 1926.
This is the first book-by-book inventory done by the Library since the fire at the Amherst House in 1926. It took a week to complete by 60-odd staff and volunteers. The women on the left are Lucy Gallagher, Claire Sussman, and Windy Sayer.
Child walking by the decorated Christmas tree in the Children's Room at the Jones Library. The bronze man sculpture is visible in the background.
Charles R. Green stands on the front steps of the Jones Library shaking hands with another man. Beside him is the chalkboard advertising one of his Sunday at 5:00 programs.
View at the ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone for the Jones Library. Pictured from left to right: Tony (Michael Angelo), who was in charge of stone work; Allen H. Cox, Architect; Casper Ranger Construction Company man; Mr. Moriarty,…
Photograph of Kenneth Ives (custodian) and Ena Cane (cataloger) in the Burnett Art Gallery in the summer of 1969