Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Emily Dickinson

homestead_lithograph-1856.jpg
Lithograph of the Dickinson Homestead on Main Street shortly after the Homestead was reacquired by Edward Dickinson.

Evergreens in winter.jpg
View of the William Austin Dickinson house from across Main Street and with snow on the ground.

Atlas_of_Heavens.pdf
This atlas includes diagrams of the planets and constellations of both hemispheres. It accompanies a textbook of the same name and was studied by Emily Dickinson while at Amherst Academy. It has hand painted color and is bound in brown cardboard…

lov0305.jpg
View west on Main Street toward the center of town from about where the Dickinson Homestead is. Trees, hedges, and fences line the dirt sidewalks, and the road is unpaved and rutted.

lov0335.jpg
View of Main Street looking east, showing the William Austin Dickinson house and the Emily Dickinson house. People are standing on the sidewalk. This image shows the area near the current Sweetser Park.

lov0339.jpg
View east down the middle of Main Street with the First Congregational Church on the right and a section of one of the Dickinson houses on the left.

lov0360.jpg
This building stood at the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Street. Samuel K. Orr remodeled it as a modern drug store and opened his shop there in 1859. According to the Springfield Republican (October 22, 1864 edition, page 8) William F. Gunn…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1088.jpg
This business block is called Palmer Block and is where Emily Dickinson's father and brother operated their law firm. Written on verso: "C.J.W. from Mother Dec. 25, 1875."

First Congregational Church Construction.jpg
Construction of the First Congregational Church on Main Street in the winter of 1867. This building was the fourth meetinghouse constructed by the congregation. Edward Dickinson (Emily's father) gave a speech at its dedication.

Am_Acad.jpg
View of Amity Street and Amherst Academy building, where Emily Dickinson went to school. The Academy building is three and one-half stories and federal style. The building was razed in 1868. Rev. David Parsons House is on the right. The Jones Library…

Attractions.pdf
This 24-page brochure describes Amherst during Emily Dickinson's lifetime including the landscape, highlights of Amherst College, changes to Kellogg Block, and businesses in Amherst center. There is a good description of the merchandise sold in each…

MtHolyokeSemCat.pdf
This 16-page catalog lists trustees, teachers and pupils at the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for the year that Emily Dickinson attended, describing the course of study, entrance requirements, books used, vacations, Sabbath requirements, etc.

WadsworthSermon.pdf
This sermon was preached at the beginning of the Civil War by Charles Wadsworth, a minister proclaimed by Emily Dickinson to be "My Shepherd from 'Little Girl'hood'." Dickinson had heard him preach at the Arch Street Presbyterian Church in…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2